BlazingBlades

Discussion in 'Players Introductions' started by BlazingBlades, Nov 9, 2014.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
  1. BlazingBlades

BlazingBlades Advanced

Oh my gosh, Spots! What a delightful post! So glad to make YOUR acquaintance!

Roses are one of my faves, so it's nice to meet another rose lover. Glad you figured out the ways with your smaller roses. LOL.

Looking forward to getting to know you better! :D

2. solotime

solotime Count Count

Haha very nice map.

I see I typed about the ducks and forgot to answer the other question.

Hmm, I 'm like 7.4 miles away from a State Park called, Lake Francis.
    Very nice place but not so great for fishing. :sleepy:
    If you like catching Sunfish, then its fun.
    I sometimes enjoy fishing there cause I catch Bass, but nothing big.

Also got the Susquehanna river nearby. That is like 17 miles away, but only 7 miles IF you could fly. xD
    The bridge is the reason why it's far away.

Now the problem, what else is 7 miles away is the nuclear powerplant.
    Don't know what it'll do to me but I been living by this thing for over 19 years. << Note to Forum Mods, I didn't say my age!!!!

So, do I like my area? Yes I do but I hate the cold weather because I get cold fast o_O
    It's probably because I'm skinny and tall, 6"2 and like 170 pounds :p
    What I'm getting at, I would like to move away to a warmer area someday.
    I won't miss the snow nor the cold weather.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
    farmlily3 likes this.
  3. bygo_cris

bygo_cris Count Count

You're plan looks great:)
    Someday I hope to move at house and start farming too. But maybe when I will be older and move from here to my birth country. Here are only apartments because this country has a lot of mountains.
    But until then, I think I will plant something on my balcony :D

4. BlazingBlades

BlazingBlades Advanced

Oh yea - Cris! There are some really nice ideas about balcony planting on Pinterest. You can do so much! And if you have a window facing south, you can plant in your apartment.

What country do you live in?

The Plan in Action:
    April and May were busy months! We began with the raised beds for my gardening.

First off, we fence in the chickens. The poop all over our deck was not going to fly. After fencing them in, the neighbor next door liked it so much, he made a deal with us and we replaced the 100 yr old fence between us. What a difference! This view shows the fence posts, the chickens fenced in, and the right side of the garden to get ready for the membrane.

[​IMG]

Next, the membrane to control weeds.

[​IMG]

The raised beds we found at a farm where we got our pullets. They sold us the lot for $20! What a steal! Kind of like a Farmerama Bonus, no? xD
    [​IMG]

The beds are plumbed for drip irrigation and filled with dirt. Super Dirt! The dirt came from a ranch that had steers for decades. They cleaned all the weeds out and sold us the dirt - dirt cheap! ;)

The roses are planted and the bricks (we got for free) are marked off:

[​IMG]

The trellises for the cucumbers and squash are ready to be put in and the lilac bush is planted:
    [​IMG]

Planting, sowing, watering, mulch, gravel, and tada!

[​IMG]

And the best part? The HARVEST. It was an XXL harvest, btw. Not bad for first timers, eh?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Broccoli, patty-pan squash, swiss chard, beet leaves, eggplant (a strange variety, most likely Bahamarama type), red cabbage, and my son's hand.:inlove:

And a corner view of the finished product:
    [​IMG]

(Edited to show last photo)

Last edited by moderator: Nov 12, 2014
    farmlily3, heidels, hatzeva and 6 others like this.
  5. Sweet_Cassiopeia

Sweet_Cassiopeia Forum Overlooker

Have you thought about putting in rhubarb?

Looks great! Do you can?

BlazingBlades likes this.
  6. -Mir85-

-Mir85- Living Forum Legend

What an amazing result Blazie :D

7. JJenks

JJenks Forum Ambassador

Blazie- Absolutely beautiful!!! I'm so jelly:inlove::inlove:

8. BlazingBlades

BlazingBlades Advanced

Good idea - hadn't thought about it. I will do asparagus next year. But rhubarb would be good, too!

No canning skills yet. That's next year's goal! 8)

I did freeze some stuff, and dried my herbs. Replaced the store bought herbs in the bottles. What a difference home grown herbs makes. The smell and flavor is amazing!

All the seeds I got were non-gmo, non-hybrid, heirloom type. Delicious!

Do you can, Cassie?

Thanks - It was great therapy, y'all. I was in the middle of 3 of the worst years of my life. I spent 8-10 hours a day out there and it was extremely healing just working with the dirt and creating. What a blessing it was when we purchased the perfect home for some therapeutic sessions. :)

Last edited by moderator: Nov 12, 2014
  9. Sweet_Cassiopeia

Sweet_Cassiopeia Forum Overlooker

Yes, I do some canning. Just a tip, with your berries, do a quick freeze on a baking sheet and then bag them straight from the garden. You can wash them when you use them. This helps when you have more berries than time to can. Got room for blueberries? For beets, my favorite variety is Iride (Organic) available from The Cook's Garden. Shipping isn't cheap but the seeds will keep for several years so buy for at least a two year supply and save on the shipping costs.

10. BlazingBlades

BlazingBlades Advanced

I planted blueberries, but our soil is more alkaline than acidic, which they love. So, I'm not sure how good they will produce. I continually put coffee grounds and egg shells in the pots where I planted them. I'll post those photos tomorrow.

I'll try that beet. I wasn't too happy with this brand of beets. I'd like to learn how to pickle them. Thanks for the recommendation! I definitely will get some for next year. :D

Edit: The blueberries DON'T love alkaline. They love acidic. :)

baw815 and Sweet_Cassiopeia like this.
  11. puppiesnponies

puppiesnponies Living Forum Legend

Blazie - just amazing! You do have a talent in planning and executing that plan! Good for you! Your time in your garden sure paid off and I hope the next years are better for you. I am glad you found healing therapy while you were growing such lovely produce! I am jelly too! Just 5-10 min in the flower beds/yard has me hurting that I long for days that I could be outside puttering in my yard for hours. Please keep posting photos!

farmlily3, BlazingBlades and -Mir85- like this.
  12. BlackCaviar

BlackCaviar Forum Overlooker

Your garden must be the envy of the neighborhood! ;)

farmlily3 and BlazingBlades like this.
  13. BlazingBlades

BlazingBlades Advanced

Oh - I'm sorry PnP!

The thing is, I can do all things but create or decorate. I just could not do it. It was a three day mind dump with God. Lots of prayer and lots of erasing. haha! Definitely team-work!

@BlackCaviar
    Know what happened? The neighbors around us started cleaning up their yard! haha! The guy behind us planted more fruit trees and raspberries. The guy to the right of him, cleaned up his weeds and planted sod. The guy next to us put a nice fence in and cleaned up his garden. And the guy the other side is going to replace the old fence and put in a white vinyl fence. We cleaned up the neighborhood together!!

14. -poppyseed-

-poppyseed- Forum Connoisseur

Blazie, so pretty! What an efficient use of space! All that hard work and planning paid off. You turned your yard into a perfect little
    garden.:inlove:

Arielh, -Mir85- and BlazingBlades like this.
  15. Arielh

Arielh Living Forum Legend

Blazie thanks for sharing all the photos and the work you do in your real farm!:);)

-Mir85- and BlazingBlades like this.
  16. BlazingBlades

BlazingBlades Advanced

Thanks, Poppy - we've divided the back yard into different rooms. The Chicken Room, the garden, the fruit tree place, a Hideaway, the fire place, and the berries heaven. :D

-poppyseed-, BlackCaviar and -Mir85- like this.
  17. daisy

daisy Forum Apprentice

That garden has had such a lot of work put into it. It looks wonderful

-Mir85- and BlazingBlades like this.
  18. BlackCaviar

BlackCaviar Forum Overlooker

The neighborhood improvement benefits all! :)

19. baw815

baw815 Forum General

Blazie, do you have an area that is just flowers? I saw the rosebushes, and you said lilac, I would love to see a pic of that when it's in bloom. I do believe puttering in the dirt is therapeutic, mentally and physically. :inlove: I am so jelly of you having a yard, I live in an apartment, 3rd floor, so no yard, lol. :inlove: ;) :inlove:

B

20. BlazingBlades

BlazingBlades Advanced

Hi Baw - I do have an area in front of the Shed that is medicinal and herbal teas. No photos until spring. I've got a snowball bush that I just planted and bunch of bulbs. That was lower priority this year. Our front yard is a mess. That's next year's joy. I'll post those next year, too. It's been soooo much fun!

The house came with 3 lilacs and a Rose of Sharon. I'll post those this year, too.

Thanks, Baw. Don't mean to cause a jelly mess here. ::cry:
    Just wanted to share the fruits of labor with fellow friends. :)