For new farmers a little encouragement...

Discussion in 'Everything else Archive' started by Clashstrummer, Feb 1, 2018.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. purplebeet

purplebeet Active Author

So glad I found this thread. I'm xtremely new, as I just started my farm last night, and only opened my second field, clearing the brush. I would welcome any and all opinions of what you would try for with 32 stars. My old soul tells me to sit still and count my blessings, but the chickadee inside of me says Go Shopping purplebeet:p So excited to hear advice from such experienced farmers:D

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    fun2farm, AniE, Mooboy and 9 others like this.
  2. baw815

baw815 Forum General

purplebeet, are you planning on buying on the market or growing yourself?

That will determine what to go for, IMO (In My Opinion).

My one and only caveat to everything said here is, it is advice. Take it or leave it or change to suit yourself. I have modified tons of advice given over the time I've been playing. Also, I am still learning things myself.

fun2farm, Mooboy, spotsbox and 10 others like this.
  3. Jazac

Jazac Forum Veteran

let me offer some advice to making or and saving coins... double check market first then the seed shop.. chances are way higher now that the 100 seeds in the seed shop will be way cheaper then the market...but don't forget to least double check. you can always sell half and keep half.. that way you doing 2 things at once. i also would say that i wouldn't buy a lot (meaning all crops you can buy at seed shop) of crops at first till you build your coins up..also check the animal feed at market... sometimes making it and selling it helps.The more you grow.... the more you save... always keep that in mind...

what helped me some was i skipped low time crops and bought them from seed shop... and grew some of my other long time crops... i haven't did that in awhile as i had a good stock of things.plus was running low on coins.. but now got to restock as last few events drained me...lol

you do whats easy for you... or hard.(some people likes challenge).. long as you enjoy the game.. doesn't matter if you have billions of coins or crops... just as long as you have fun PERIOD. if your goals are hard to achive. then maybe your doing to many events with nothing saved or your goals maybe to high... if starting the game... don't rush to do these events... it will break you. besides most of us before level 70 couldn't complete a event anyway. mainly when it came to needing drops.. so grow , level, save.. do some events... check for easy events too as they are rare.. but sometimes even a low level farmer can do....do what you can to grow event crops (most time good exp) turn in what you can for goodies... and forget the rest of event...unless of course its doable for you.

you don't have to follow what i said as it is a guide... but maybe you will find it come in handy.. i wish all new farmers well and welcome you to the game... may you last with us other farmers for a very long time...if your ever stuck or need help always ask.. there is no dumb questions ever... well just one and that one is for the questions that never gets asked. so please, always ask for help.. remember we was in your shoes once...

Nala777, fun2farm, Mooboy and 11 others like this.
  4. meba091

meba091 Forum Veteran

@purplebeet
    If you have the time, the harvester and a CAC I would recommend growing cress and sell it all. Cress is needed for a quest right now in high amounts and is selling well at good prices. That way you can make ccs fast and buy whatever. Take a look in the FAQ and look for what is needed in picky pirate and the first level of breeding quests (and silver second and then level 3 - level 1 and 3 is only regular animals, though not all are good to do now because some animals are high). You may not have access now, but you can start buying. You need the stars to get access to baha and many other things.

Like Jazac said, buying the 100 seeds every day is very profitable.

You can get the harvester doing some quests (you have to look for yourself and see which) and I will gladly send you a CAC.

fun2farm, Mooboy, spotsbox and 12 others like this.
  5. sanddollar15

sanddollar15 Living Forum Legend

@purplebeet , Hi and welcome. I have been playing almost 3yrs this June and am at level 99, and I grow almost everything on my farm. I too (after I got enough cc's) go to the red market basket to buy the seeds in there when you can't plant or grow them. I also play at my own pace for my enjoyment and like many of these wise farmers have said pick and choose the advice that works for you and your farm!
    Also pick and choose what events or quests you want to take part in, as in the beginning you may start an event but find you can't finish and that is alright as long as you got some goodies to help your farm along! xD I hope you enjoy this game and "Happy Farming" to you!
    @meba091 Great to see you!;)

fun2farm, AniE, Mooboy and 12 others like this.
  6. purplebeet

purplebeet Active Author

Thank you everyone, love the needed positivity, and well thought out advice:) I'm concentrating on getting the feel of my farm and town now and plan to sell more crops as I think I will play the easier events and enjoy myself a while and get some experience under my belt. Actually I m quite sure part of the charm of this game is this forum community ;) very happy to be here!

fun2farm, Mooboy, spotsbox and 11 others like this.
  7. Clashstrummer

Clashstrummer Count Count

I'll just toss in one other piece of advice. Don't get discouraged if you seem to be getting a lot of the same tree or stable. If you win or buy mystery trees or stables and you seem to be getting a lot of the same ones over and over there will be a time when that will work to your advantage. At some point you will need an abundance of one animal or tree fruit and it's so much easier to accomplish that if you have multiple items.

I know I used to get very down when I wouldn't get something new or just different. I can't tell you how many times it's come in super handy to have 20 or more orange stable upgrades or XXL trees so I can rapidly increase my barn stock prior to an event. It might not be super exciting but it will all be useful at some point. :)

fun2farm, spotsbox, tlcmom and 13 others like this.
  8. Brakenjan84

Brakenjan84 Padavan

lilDomi and purplebeet, I'll send you some CaC every day for a few days, this should help with your crops. Purplebeet, even though you are still a new farm, you can use the Carrot-Apple-Chutney by going to your barn, click on pantry and then on the CaC. Select the middle choice at the bottom to 'Use' it and you will have +2 harvest on every field. For CaC and PJ (Pumpkin Jam), 1x1 fields are best but if you don't have farm machinery, it can be tiresome so 1x2 or 2x2 should be fine in that case.

I'll also send you some egg trees during the G&T later this week (I'll write you in on my list now), this should help not only with some of the feed and FSQs but also in gaining some CC's if you sell it.

All the advice given above are very sound and I can't add anything else to it. Just enjoy the game and if you feel overwhelmed by the events, ignore them. I'm now at level 92 and only do the events that I feel like doing, definitely not all of them...

Happy farming!

fun2farm, AniE, purplebeet and 12 others like this.
  9. Moraine

Moraine Forum Demigod

Also the living Legend works on the MM fields , but you can't move the trophies there.

Events impossible to complete? keep going as far as you can. There's plenty of smaller rewards that can help you along.
    Barn never fills up ? True that. But make a small goal, work from there.
    No CC? Sell manure during events that require growing. And carrots and apples sells well, and relative quickly.
    No Carrot-Apple-Chutney ? Maybe you can get hold of some cheaper pumpkin jam ? Maybe a friend or a neighbour can help out in a crisis too.
    Don't have those rare animals/trees ? No worries, sooner or later they will find their way to your farm. Mystery stuff are often reward in events, and there is always a possibility of the Trade & Give event.
    Lack motivation/frustrated/confused ? Start a thread here in the forum and you'll get plenty of advices, support and the odd kick-in-the-bum-motivation. Some more useful than others of course.

Remember this is a marathon, not a sprint. The road is more important than the goal. And remember often the bumpy twisting road can be a lot more exciting than a highway. Even if you keep wondering when you'll get stuck in the mud.

Nala777, fun2farm, hatzeva and 11 others like this.
  10. julie1013

julie1013 Commander of the Forum

I thought of the trophies not being able to be placed on MM field last night but was too tired to post. Moraine beat me to it!!xD I agree with all things said and it is important to remember we all started out the same and had to work at it;):p:D

Nala777, fun2farm, spotsbox and 5 others like this.
  11. dafodily

dafodily Forum Duke

I would suggest always growing the event crop, even if your not doing/can't finish the event. The EP for the event crop is ALWAYS higher than a regular crop of the same duration AND at the end of the event the crop in your barn is converted to EP, TEP & CC's. So a win, win!

A point of info for Gift & Trade, you will only be able to receive items up to the level you have reached (or unlocked statue for on Baha). In other words you can't be gifted/trade for a cow dairy if you have not yet reached the level where you can buy a cow stable from the red basket. If you receive a rare animal stable, but have not reached the level to grow a required crop for their feed ... you can buy the feed in the market until you reach that level.

Also unless you're going to spend real money on the game, hoard those BB's until you've played a couple of months & have developed your strategy/goals on how you want to play this game. Remember this is a long, long term game ... there is no quick shortcut to reach the end. If there is an end!

fun2farm, Mooboy, spotsbox and 7 others like this.
  12. lilDomi

lilDomi Junior Expert

I have found NOT growing event crop has kept me at a level more in consideration of the level I feel I should be for how long I have had the farm. I would probably be 10 of 20 levels higher if I had grown event crop, and I wouldn't have much in stock now of regular crop. That is my opinion though. I did do the lynx event. Grew enough crop to get the crate of winners for the birthday and did the first level of the companion quest, it involved carrots, wheat and cress, gave SG, CCs and EP. I have the lynx cloud row waiting for me when I finally get it open. :p

I am low on apples again, so it looks like I will have to cover my farm in apple trees to get some. Maybe a day's worth, or something. I am too much of a cheapskate to buy apples all the time. :p ;)

It seems it's never ending, lol. xD

13. Clashstrummer

LilDomi, if you are having fun and feeling happy with your farm than you are successful. :) It is indeed a never ending game and for most of us that is a good thing. I've just put out two fields of XXL trees of every variety to try to restock my own barn. I'm with you I'm too cheap to pay the high prices in the market. I don't mind selling at them though. ;)xD

14. FmrPepper

FmrPepper Forum Greenhorn

How can I get an egg tree? Where is that at?

fun2farm, Mooboy, spotsbox and 2 others like this.
  15. LDCrow

LDCrow Forum Baron

FmrPepper at this moment you can get an egg tree in one of the breeding FSQ's, cuckoo kids. It's a difficult one to complete for that prize but could be a future goal for you to set for yourself. The only other way is to try to trade for one during the next Gift&Trade event. They are a scarce item at this point so that may also prove to be very difficult to do.

16. Clashstrummer

For all new farmers...

I don't usually advocate events for new players however the upcoming Carnival Queen event is really the highlight event of the year. Trying to get as far as the queen and doing however many baskets you can get will be worth it as she throws great prizes. Remember your farm trophies and if you were thinking of upgrading them now would be a good time.

If you don't have enough land open to even make a stab at it then I suggest you grow wheat, mill chicken feed, raise chickens and sell the poo. Prices will be very high during this event.

17. Arielh

Arielh Living Forum Legend

Chashstrummer what you said in your first post was amazing and inspiring for new players if I ever become a mentor I will sure tell them to check this thread first!

18. phoenixboy12

phoenixboy12 Forum Duke

To new farmers, the ongoing breeding event can be started without using any of your animals in your barn.

You recieve medals whilst harvesting your fields these can be used towards donating to the event. You will attain prizes to help you grow your farm

fun2farm, joanc123, Mooboy and 8 others like this.
  19. Clashstrummer

I saw someone else post something in a feedback thread that I thought needed to be addressed. Not so much advice as a warning. This information is listed in the game FAQ for breeding but not everyone reads those.

Never mix up the animals you put into breed. Always make sure all 4 animals are from the same level. You are wasting any upper level animals you mix with anything lower as the game will read the lowest animal and breed from there.

For example if you load in 3 gumbo and 1 regular chicken the game will read that as 4 regular chickens and breed based on that.

fun2farm, julie1013, joanc123 and 6 others like this.
  20. -Mir85-

-Mir85- Living Forum Legend

There is also a chance that it will be read as breeding gumbos and you'll get a result based on that. But it is definitely a risk, and I think most players prefer to play it safe, it is such a disappointment to get a lower level animal in return than what you put in.

fun2farm, julie1013, joanc123 and 9 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.