Meet Peeve, my pet

Discussion in 'Everything else Archive' started by spotsbox, Oct 12, 2023.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spotsbox

spotsbox Forum Demigod

When I was in 7th or 8th grade, eons ago, my English teacher gave us a writing assignment. We were to write a composition talking about our pet peeves. I did not know what that was and had to ask my mom when I went home. [​IMG] After she explained it to me, that a pet peeve is something that annoys us, I couldn't think of a single one (except maybe my sister). :p Oh to be so easy going again! Unfortunately, Peeve has become a recurring companion as I've aged. He's sneaky, that Peeve, and especially loves to cause frustration over simple things. Currently Peeve has been showing up whenever there's an easy open package. They never open easily. Ever. The sausages I made for breakfast in the just-pull-apart-here package? Had to cut them open. Lunchmeat packaging with the little corners to separate? Get the scissors. Squeeze bottles, peanut butter, vitamins...anything with "easy open", Peeve shows up. :wuerg: So I'm just wondering, do you have a pet Peeve too? I'd love to hear how he accompanies everyone else, so I don't feel like I'm the only one he lavishes his attentions on. xD

2. sanddollar15

sanddollar15 Living Forum Legend

Brilliant post spotsbox! Oh yes, Peeve shows up in my world too:p in the form of "People" who have no "Common Sense!":oops:and
    like you, Peeve is there with those "Child Proof bottles" that seem to be "Adult Proof" too! :cry::music: I hope you now feel better that you are not alone when it comes to knowing Peeve very, very well!xD

Last edited: Oct 13, 2023
    007Farming, Nordais, xiop and 5 others like this.
  3. MeadowCrossing

MeadowCrossing Forum Veteran

Oh, yes, a 'good' neighbor to me as well. There's an entire clan: those who won't pick up after their pooch has fertilized your yard or the side of the walking path in the park; those who toss trash on the ground; those who blast their vehicle music as if they were the only ones in the universe - and it's loud enough to be heard from one end of the universe to the other! Tailgaters and those who drive with their eyes on their phones rather than the road. And, those who never take responsibility for what's wrong with anything and instead blame everyone else - especially if the 'everyone else' is of the opposite political party, religion, different race/culture/etc. Indeed, Peeve has many cousins all over!

4. farmerumf

farmerumf Forum Ambassador

I do not like it when something on facebook has hundred of comments which all say basically the same thing. e.g. I remember this, I like this, Wonderful, - I could go on and on and on - which most people do. Why not just 'like' a comment. One memory site asks people to make comments that add to the information and we still get 'I used to walk by there on the way to school' or 'I went there when I was young' or 'My aunt used to work there'. None of these add anything to the memories of the town or area in question. Also read previous comments. So often someone will put up a picture and ask where it was and 50 people give the same answer. There rant over. Off to facebook to get annoyed again :p

007Farming, spotsbox, Nordais and 3 others like this.
  5. Brookeham

Brookeham Forum Freak

Love, love this thread idea!!!! :inlove:
    I have terrible arthritis in my hands/fingers.....so everything is difficult for me to open. I wish there was an option for those of us without grandkids or any other young people in our lives to opt out of the "child proof" items!!!:music:
    I also just had installed new shades in my bathrooms.....and learned that they no longer have cords or any other way to open or close them....b/c you guessed it.....a child died by a cord.
    People die in cars/ planes etc. but we don't do away with them!!! :eek:

I do have a number of other peeves...but will limit my gripes. LOL:pxD

p.s. To my thoughtful, loyal friends & neighbors....Sorry I don't write much anymore....the stiff hands & fingers hinder typing most days.

6. farmerumf

I hope we are allowed to post more than once. I thought of another Pet Peeve. People used to pepper their sentences with 'like'. The latest is to start every sentence with 'so'
    e.g. Where are you going on holiday? So I am going to France.
    Also don't get me started with people who say Haitch, instead of Aitch. Aitch is in the dictionary. When I was young it was only the Cockneys (Londoners for those who don't know) who said Haitch but funnily enough they dropped their aitches from most words. 'ouse, 'ostpital, 'urry. :D

7. puppiesnponies

puppiesnponies Living Forum Legend

Count me in too with multiple pets xD A recent one was on a trip to town. Drivers that drive erratically, jumping lane to lane with no indicator (turn) signal causing a lot of frantic breaking to avoid being hit. So I give those drivers room as I am more interested in arriving at my destination safely rather than in a hurry. I leave my house with plenty of time to arrive around 5-10 minutes early so I am not stressed by time. However, when I leave those erratic drivers plenty of space so I reduce my worry of being in an accident, other drivers who are comfortable with tailgating and slamming on their brakes take advantage of it and squeeze in in front of me. :oops:

If we went back to horse and buggy days, my horse would bite theirsxD:pxD

Last edited: Oct 19, 2023
  8. farmerumf

The worse drivers for not using their indicators seem to be BMW drivers. Some one said why waste money putting them in cars in the first place.:D:D:D

spotsbox, Nordais, upa70 and 3 others like this.
  9. Nordais

Nordais Forum Veteran

After meeting all your posts I'm glad I don't drive and own a car! I do agree with the one comment about cars being transformed into boom box, no respect for anyone. For me, the worse is when people open taps to the max to rince a plate or wash their hands, the majority of fawcets can be adjust from 0% to 100% it's not science to turn it up just a little! Same with people slamming doors/cabinets/drawers, books, etc... I can understand when someone is reeeaaallllyyy angry (I curse the first movie that introduced that as a "normal" behavior!) but seriously, you're sharing space with others so why make them grumpy by making so much noise!

Hmmhmmm.... after reading my post I realize that I like me sound environment to be calm and peaceful!

10. spotsbox

spotsbox Forum Demigod

Oh pnp, you do my heart good! Drivers who refuse to use turn signals was my very first peeve pet ;). As well as those who turn on their signal but never turn it off. And those who fail to acknowledge the fact that you have your signal on, then act all annoyed when they almost rear end you. -.- People who don't look when approaching/barreling through an intersection (I've decided no one in my small town has a functioning head/neck, because they never ever look and rarely yield) are another favorite. Yes, many, many peeve pets from driving. :p

As often an you like. :)

Brilliant idea, Brookeham!

11. BlackCaviar

BlackCaviar Forum Overlooker

There is a solution for some childproofing. Prescription caps on many bottles can be reversed to make them easy to open.

[​IMG]

12. rivak

rivak Forum Baron

Thank you very much for this tip, BlackCaviar! I have an old Advil bottle that I keep refilling because it has an arthritis-friendly cap versus childproof. But I can't do that with my blood pressure medicine. You've given me a great new option. :)

13. puppiesnponies

puppiesnponies Living Forum Legend

Another pet peeve for me is public restrooms...:wuerg:

• Doors do not always lock
    • The big plastic cover for industrial rolls of toilet paper doesn't let you see clearly if there is paper available. Always look first so you are not surprised!
    • That big plastic cover means I have to become a contortionist to reach my arm up in there to try to get some paper
    • When you pull the paper (gently) you still only get a square or 2. Ummm.....
    • Seats are not always dry when you go in the stallo_O
    • Automatic faucets and hand dryers do not always come on causing one to wave frantically trying to trigger the sensor. I could apply for air traffic control with all that waving around experience:p
    • Automatic paper towels don't always unroll (more hand waving)
    • People don't always put their paper towels in the trash so the floors look like a zombie apocalypse movie
    • People don't always dry the sink so there is no where to put your purse while you wash your hands
    • Going into a stall that the toilet has not been flushed:wuerg:
    • Being at the sink washing your hands and someone exists a stall and just leaves the bathroom without washing their hands:wuerg:
    • Said person above has now touched the door handle with dirty hands-.-
    Whew! Lots of pets :D

My deepest respect for employees who have to clean up after people who should clean up after themselves.

Noelle20001, xiop, spotsbox and 8 others like this.
  14. 12ss12

12ss12 Living Forum Legend

Spots, I certainly did not know what Pet peeve is. When I first read your heading, I thought it was a cat or something like that. Even after reading the posts I couldn't figure it out. So I went and searched the net to find what it is. Found out. I am sure I have lots of Pet peeve. But right now I can't think of one. So I will post them when they come to my mind.

spotsbox, Shimmer, Nordais and 3 others like this.
  15. Shimmer

Shimmer Forum Veteran

Mostly, my pet peeves are the same as everyone else. Lots of inconsiderate people out there.
    But I also particularly hate when companies put adverts everywhere when they're not supposed to. Small A4 adverts or banners attatched to railings where there are a lot of people walking. I carry a tiny knife just so I can cut those down and put them in the bin.

Also, I think Peeve would be a great name for a cat.

16. rivak

rivak Forum Baron

I have too many Peeves, but I am working on letting a few of them go.

One I can't get rid of is commercials on TV. Certain channels and free streaming services have far too many. Plus some of them (local lawyers and car dealerships) are also so LOUD that they hurt my ears. I've gotten in the habit of muting the ads but it's still very annoying.

17. farmerumf

rivak - We are fortunate in England to have a couple of advert free channels i.e. BBC ones. However we do have to pay a licence fee which everyone grumbles about. We do not subscribe to any of the paying channels as I find there is so much to record on all the Freeview channels (most of which do have adverts). Nearly all our viewing is done via our recorder so we can fastforward through them.

My latest peeve is Facebook. I am just enjoying reading something when they insert new ones. It is a continuous case of where is the post I was just reading. I am sure we used to be able to select Newest and Most popular. I wish we could select Friends only posts. If we can perhaps someone can point me in the right direction.

18. TC-çiftçi

TC-çiftçi Forum Apprentice

I'm happy to have you 12ss12.. I'm glad you're back.

12ss12 likes this.
  19. 12ss12

12ss12 Living Forum Legend

Thank you, dear friend ! :inlove:

[​IMG]

My pet peeve would be the shopping habit of my mother. Can't control her. Being a senior citizen, if you strongly point out, she will take offense like a child. Then she will say she understood what I said and that she won't do it again. But you know the truth. It has become her way of dealing with stress I suppose. All I can do is give in graciously.

spotsbox, sanddollar15 and Shimmer like this.
  20. Nordais

Nordais Forum Veteran

A Farmerama pet peeve that just keeps getting in my way: players who sell manure 1 x 10 offers at a time!!!:mad: It's been going on for years, that particular player only sells it like this! o_O:eek::wuerg:

Noelle20001, 12ss12, rivak and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.