Rio Olympic 2016

Discussion in 'Everything else Archive' started by 12ss12, Aug 6, 2016.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 12ss12

12ss12 Living Forum Legend

Rio Olympic 2016
    August 05 to 21

[​IMG]
    Just a chit chat thread about Rio olympics. We can share anything about Olympics.

Let me start,

The best thing I like about Olympics is its informal but well known motto, also introduced by Coubertin :- "The most important thing is not to win but to take part !"

The Olympic motto is the hendiatris Citius, Altius, Fortius, which is Latin for "Faster, Higher, Stronger". It was proposed by Pierre de Coubertin upon the creation of the International Olympic Committee in 1894.

and
    Opening Ceremony got over yesterday. Competitions started today.

Current news :- 1st gold goes to Virginia Thrasher, USA in Shooting, Women's 10m air rifle

USA leads with one gold

2. Brookeham

Brookeham Forum Freak

Woo Hoo go USA!!!! :music: Thanks for starting this thread 12ss12! :inlove: I love the Olympics! I try to watch as much as I can.

3. Arielh

Arielh Living Forum Legend

I thought I could share some history:);)

The First Olympic Games were religious and athletic festivals held every four years in Olympia, Greece. They started around the 8th century BC. During the Olympic Games, all conflicts among the participating city-states were postponed until the Games were finished.
    The winners were crowned with a crown made from olive branches!
    There is also said(maybe a myth) that when an Olympian winner returned to his home town, the residents demolished a part of the city's
    wall. The believed they didn't need it because the Olympian winner would be able to protect them!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  4. 12ss12

I knew about the olive branch crown but not about that demolition aspects. :DThat's a new news.
    You are welcome, Brookeham.

The following countries have started their accounts in the medal tally. Other countries are yet to begin.

Medal standings
    Country[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    1 Australia
    [​IMG]
    2 Hungary
    [​IMG]
    3 United States
    [​IMG]
    4 South Korea
    [​IMG]
    5 Japan
    [​IMG]
    6 Argentina
    [​IMG]
    6 Belgium
    [​IMG]
    6 Russia
    [​IMG]
    6 Thailand
    [​IMG]
    6 Vietnam
    [​IMG]
    11 China
    [​IMG]
    12 Italy
    [​IMG]
    12 Kazakhstan
    [​IMG]
    14 Brazil
    [​IMG]
    14 Denmark
    [​IMG]
    14 Indonesia
    [​IMG]
    17 Canada
    [​IMG]
    17 Spain
    [​IMG]
    17 Poland
    [​IMG]
    17 Uzbekistan
    [​IMG]

spotsbox, MARLYMAR, Brookeham and 5 others like this.
  5. Arielh

Greece got a medal too!
    A talented woman won the bronze medal in shooting.

spotsbox, MARLYMAR, 12ss12 and 3 others like this.
  6. 12ss12

That's great Arielh ! :D Congrats. :)

Below video is Men's 100 mts free style & Women's 100 mts Butterfly. In both, the winners created new records. In the women 100 mts butterfly, Sarah Sjostrom created a new record by breaking her earlier world record. You can see the video in this link.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/sarah-sjostrom-wins-100m-butterfly-swedens-first-olympic-gold-medal

Although the below 2 events are II Winter Youth Olympic Games/ Lilihammer Olympics and were conducted several months back, they are interesting to watch. So I have shared them here.

Giant Slalom (Sking) - River Radamus (USA) wins Men's gold
    ( Lillehammer 2016 Youth Olympic Gamesl )

I liked his 3 round. It was such an pleasure to watch and he negotiated the obstacles so swiftly and gracefully. He won 3 gold medals. Wow !

Cross-Country - Moa Lundgren (SWE) wins Ladies' gold ( Lillehammer 2016 Youth Olympic Games )

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
    spotsbox, MARLYMAR and hatzeva like this.
  7. Arielh

12ss12 the first video is from a video game it's not the real competition...

spotsbox, MARLYMAR and 12ss12 like this.
  8. 12ss12

Thanks Arielh ! I have edited / replaced the video. I was thinking that the persons in the video were too robot like. Now I know.

spotsbox, MARLYMAR and Arielh like this.
  9. hopy14

hopy14 Forum Inhabitant

I'm new to the forum as well as to the game.
    Nice to meet all the nice people here !!

I also love Olympics...
    I love to watch swimming,gymnastic,races,basket ball and football .:):p

tlcmom, spotsbox, Arielh and 3 others like this.
  10. Willow

Willow Commander of the Forum

Welcome to the forum hopy14, very nice to meet you!:)
    I have enjoyed watching the swimming, diving and gymnastics. They do amazing things I would be terrified to try!o_O

tlcmom, spotsbox, MARLYMAR and 3 others like this.
  11. puppiesnponies

puppiesnponies Living Forum Legend

Welcome hopy to the game and to the forum:)

spotsbox, MARLYMAR and 12ss12 like this.
  12. farmingfreebird

farmingfreebird Exceptional Talent

[​IMG]

The Dutch
    Anna van Breggen won gold on the road race! whoohoo!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

(the dutch rings turner Yuri van Gelder has been sent home, due to alcohol use and ignoring the dutch olympic rules, to stay in the olympic village. he did not, he went out, and returned very early in the morning... completely drunk. He had missed the last olympics due to cocaine use...and the entire netherlands was so proud of him for kicking that habit and returning to top sport... :( too bad he failed again.)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  13. sanddollar15

sanddollar15 Living Forum Legend

I also :inlove: the Olympics! I :inlove: swimming/diving, Gymnastics and Track and Field, beach volleyball and soccer! I think it is great that the youth from around the world, who all give up so much to train and represent their countries have a place to come and compete! I wish them all well, but do root for the USA!;)

tlcmom, spotsbox, MARLYMAR and 3 others like this.
  14. farmingfreebird

[​IMG]
    I love swimming too! And beach volleyball! (I'm rooting for the dutch of course.. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] ) and some gymnastics, and rowing, and volleyball, and hockey and and and... whaaaaa I'm short of hours in a day!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

tlcmom, spotsbox, MARLYMAR and 7 others like this.
  15. puppiesnponies

puppiesnponies Living Forum Legend

I like the swimming and gymnastics, but my favorite are the Equestrian events. :)

spotsbox, MARLYMAR, Brookeham and 5 others like this.
  16. hopy14

hopy14 Forum Inhabitant

Although,I'm not an Italian but I like gabriel detti (a swimmer of Italy):D
    In the sports...
    I also like Lionel Messi and Christaino Ronaldo.(Professional Soccer Players )everyone knows them they're so popular.8):)

spotsbox, MARLYMAR, JJenks and 2 others like this.
  17. sanddollar15

sanddollar15 Living Forum Legend

Sorry, forgot my manners:p Welcome hopy14 to the game and the forum! There are a great number of awesome farmers here that are always ready with advise and fun. I hope you have a great time in the game! Happy Farming!;)

spotsbox and MARLYMAR like this.
  18. farmingfreebird

I forgot the equestrian!
    [​IMG]
    I like the jumping events, but the one that did for NL got almost crushed by a horse and broke three ribs. First time I saw this inflatable airbag vest though! Never saw that before! Did you guys know about it?

@mods, will you please allow me this little piece of olympic film? It's not on youtube yet, and therefor I can't embed it. It's a link to our national tv site, NOS.

The link words mean: horse trips over Theo van de Vendel.
    http://nos.nl/rio2016/video/2124034-paard-struikelt-over-theo-van-de-vendel-heen.html

& welcome Hopy!! [​IMG]

19. 12ss12

Welcome hopy14 to the game, forum & this thread.
    That's too bad and also sad, farmingfreebird. Such talent & opportunity as you say,for him and the Netherlands, going waste.:( And another Olympics will be 4 years from now.
    Some more information : Seems Theo van de Vendel got 3 ribs broken and the horse got just scratch. Hope he recovers soon. Tomorrow he will be present as a supporter in the final showjumping.

So far India has not opened an account in Medal Tally. But Dipa Karmakar has created record in Gymnastics and entered into finals.
    Dipa Karmakar of India enters finals in Gymnastics by doing the "Death Vault ".
    The "Death Vault" is called as "Produnova"

• It was only in 1999 that a woman gymnast (19 yrs old Russian gymnast Yelena Produnova) could successfully complete a handspring double front vault. So it is called Produnova Vault.
    • At present, Karmakar is one of the only five women in the world who have been able to successfully complete the Produnova vault.
    • To describe it in the simplest terms, the Produnova vault requires a gymnast to run up to the balance beam and first do a handspring--that is literally toss himself/herself into the air using the beam as some sort of a jumping board. Then, they are required to do two neat somersaults mid-air, following which they have to land on their feet.
    • It is considered one of the world's most difficult and dangerous athletics feat. The chances of someone landing on her head or neck are high. It exposes the athletes to life-threatening injuries.
    This is the death vault she performed in Rio Olympics

She became the third woman to do it and did the vault in Glasgow 2014.

You can see how dangerous it is in this video. Fadwa missed breaking her neck in nick of time.

Fadwa Mohamed Super Scary-Dangerous Produnova 2014

Wishing her all the best in finals !

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
    spotsbox, Arielh, MARLYMAR and 4 others like this.
  20. farmingfreebird

Honestly, i'm not a big fan of really scary things....but what a jump that one!!!

12ss12 and MARLYMAR like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.