Rio Olympic 2016

Discussion in 'Everything else Archive' started by 12ss12, Aug 6, 2016.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hatzeva

hatzeva Forum Duke

Brazil took the Gold in their most prestigious sport, football! Congrats!

2. Arielh

Arielh Living Forum Legend

Congratulations for all the athletes who took part in the Olympics:D And special congratulations for all the athletes who completed the Marathon, because anyone who does that it's like winning! Here are the winners and all the participants! [​IMG]
    Picture from the Closing ceremony!

3. Noelle20001

Noelle20001 Forum Duke

Thanks Arielh. You wouldn't happen to know where there is a translation from the Greek would you?

12ss12 likes this.
  4. Arielh

Noelle when I click the site I provided it appears in English for me. But if you want to find it again it's so easy. Just search for Rio Olympics and there will be an Overview of the Olympic Games by Google where you can click and find all the results or even type what you are searching.

spotsbox and 12ss12 like this.
  5. Noelle20001

Noelle20001 Forum Duke

Just FYI, this is what I get when I click your link:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Έλιουντ Κιπτσόγκε
    [​IMG]Κένυα
    2:08:44
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Φεγίσα Λιλέσα
    [​IMG]Αιθιοπία
    2:09:54
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Γκέιλεν Ραπ
    [​IMG]Ηνωμένες Πολιτείες Αμερικής

12ss12 likes this.
  6. 12ss12

12ss12 Living Forum Legend

spotsbox and Noelle20001 like this.
  7. Noelle20001

Noelle20001 Forum Duke

Thanks 12ss12!

8. Arielh

That's so strange Noelleo_O I see it in English...

Kenya's athletes won the gold medal in both Men's and Women's Marathon:D
    Athlete

Time
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Eliud Kipchoge
    [​IMG]Kenya
    2:08:44
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Feyisa Lilesa
    [​IMG]Ethiopia
    2:09:54
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Galen Rupp
    [​IMG]United States
    2:10:05
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Jemima Jelagat Sumgong
    [​IMG]Kenya
    2:24:04
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Eunice Jepkirui Kirwa
    [​IMG]Bahrain
    2:24:13
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Mare Dibaba
    [​IMG]Ethiopia
    2:24:30

9. Noelle20001

Noelle20001 Forum Duke

Do you have Google Translate set to change the page to English? I think 12ss12 also sees it as Greek.

12ss12 likes this.
  10. Arielh

No I don't. When I search for something in English, Google will show me the results in English. When I search for something in Greek then I will see Greek sites.

11. 12ss12

Oh ! Noelle, I forgot in what language I saw that one. Long back.

Rio Para Olympics (for disable) are still going on. Mariyappan Thangavelu of Tamilnadu (India) won gold in High Jump. So happy for him and he has made us proud. He is from Salem District in Tamilnadu. We were discussing Salem of America & of Tamilnadu, India in the other thread about home ;) His mother is a vegetable seller & father is a coolie in brick kiln. Fighting against all odds, he has emerged victorious. Source of inspiration for us not to give way to adversities but overcome them.

Here are a few things you need to know about the gold-medalist:

- Born in the Periavadamgatti village, 50 km away from Salem

- his mother sells vegetable for a living.

- A few years back, she took a loan of Rs. 3 lakhs for his medical treatment which has not been repaid till date.

- he showed promise in volleyball and played the sport in school despite his condition. It was Mariyappan's Physical Education instructor who honed his skills in high jump.

- When he was five, his right knee was crushed after his right leg came under the wheels on his way to school. That left him with a permanent disability.

- In his first competitive event against able-bodied athletes aged 14, he surprised everybody and came second.

- "It is still a 5-year-old's leg. It has never grown or healed," he told newspaper in March this year. He has a deformed large right toe, which he calls "God". "This (big toe) is what gives me leverage when I jump. It is my God," he told the newspaper.

- His coach Satyanarayana spotted him at the National Para-Athletics Championship when he was just 18. After rigorous training in Bengaluru, he became the World Number 1 in 2015, his first year of senior-level competition. "I want to find a good job and take care of my mother," he had said.

- bagged a gold medal at the IPC Tunisia Grand Prix when he jumped his PB of 1.78m which was enough for him to book a berth at the Paralympics. The 'A' qualification standard is 1.60m.

Mariyappan Thangavelu has certainly placed Tamil Nadu on the map with this rare feat and helped India jump within the top 30 places in the medal’s tally.

Mariyappan Thangavelu won a gold medal in the men's T42 high jump, while compatriot Varun Bhati shared the podium with him by getting a bronze. The United States' Sam Grewe split the two Indians by winning the silver.

The 20-year-old Thangavelu made a leap of 1.89m, while Bhati jumped his personal best of 1.86m to finish third. USA's Sam Grewe best also was 1.86 m bagged the silver medal.

Seeing this video of his jump gives us more conviction and strength. I think I will see more of para olympics.

[​IMG]

Video of Silver medalist

The T42 class has athletes with impairment in lower limb affected by limb deficiency, leg length difference, impaired muscle power or impaired range of movement.

12. farmlily3

farmlily3 Forum Freak

8) What an inspirational story, 12/12!! Thank you for posting it!:):)

12ss12 likes this.
  13. Arielh

I also wanted to post about Rio Para Olympics. All these people have so much strength and they are so brave to overcome all their problems and being athletes!

What a great jump Mariyappan Thangavelu did! He made it seem so easyo_O Congratulations!!!
    I see the bronze medal was also won by a athlete from India!

12ss12 likes this.
  14. 12ss12

I will try to get other videos of para Olympics and post them.

Arielh likes this.
  15. Arielh

I would really like that:) Because I don't have time to watch them now.

12ss12 likes this.
  16. 12ss12

Rio Paralympics

F-46 Javelin throw

India's Devendra Jhajharia wins gold in F-46 Javelin throw.
    Devendra, who won his previous gold in the 2004 Athens Games, bettered his own world record to finish on top in the men’s F46 event.

Women's shotput F53

Fathima Nedham of Bahrain won Gold in Shot put Rio Paralympics
    Deepa Malik wins silver in shot put Rio Paralympics (the oldest athlete ever to win a medal at the Paralympics.)
    You can see the medal winning throws of both and the stadium in this video

pepsishot, farmlily3 and Noelle20001 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.